Next to a beautiful coastline of beaches interspersed with cliffs and coves, and hillsides dotted with vineyards, white farmhouses and worker’s cottages where the sweet wine is produced which has been legendary since the time of the Romans.
This route combines the best of the coast and the interior, offering both the fast-paced ambience of tourist zones and rural tranquility. Its proximity to the coast is the defining feature of the Sun and Wine Route, offering a duality which is reflected in all the expressions of the local culture. Following the coast up to the border with the province of Granada in the easternmost part of La Axarquia are the municipalities of Algarrobo, Sayalonga, Cómpeta, Canillas de Albaida, Torrox, Nerja and Frigiliana.
Despite the passage of time and technological advances, the art of winemaking in this region continues to follow traditional methods. After drying the grapes in raisin beds the grapes are pressed and the must produced is stored in barrels. The production of wine, although characteristic of the entire Axarquia Region and particularly in the case of this route, is of special importance in the town of Cómpeta. Not surprisingly this town is the venue for the famous Wine Night held in honour of these natural products. Another key product on this route is the medlar. Each year Sayalonga dedicates a festival to this highly prized product which is served in various manners.
In Nerja, the famous caves known as the “Cathedral of the Paleolithic Age” offer a unique spectacle worthy of special mention. Another outstanding attraction near these caves is offered by the striking natural landscapes of the Paraje Natural de los Acantilados de Maro (Maro Cliffs Nature Area).
Mills such as in Frigiliana which produce sugar cane honey, unique cemeteries, restaurants and bars with espetos (grilled sardine skewers) , Roman ruins and paths in imposing mountain ranges all make up this varied route which offers an ample representation of all that La Axarquía has to offer.
Highlights of the route:
- Discover the curious round cemetery and its museum in Sayalonga
- Enjoy nature at La Fabrica, the recreational area of Canillas de Albaida
- Admire the ancestral arts and crafts of Frigiliana
- Take a twilight stroll along the seaside promenades in Torrox and Algarrobo and enjoy their long beaches
- Sample the speciality in Torrox, migas, during its special festival the Sunday before Christmas
- Don’t forget the famous tortas of Algarrobo
- Marvel at the formations of the Nerja Caves and if you have the chance, go to its international festival which is held in July